Been a while…sorry about that. Had a story due a couple days ago I was obsessing over…tried NaNoWriMo (and failed, but I’m okay with that)…had my yearly evaluation…Thanksgiving…stuff…you know.
So to try to ease my way back into the blog, I thought I would go (mostly) lighthearted with a random buckshot of thoughts rolling through my head right now.
- Sleigh Ride by Leroy Anderson is the best instrumental Christmas song. Hands down. Proof:
- Just finished Jessica Jones yesterday. Wow. I thought Daredevil was edgy, and then I watched JJ. It was phenomenal. I’ve read a number of articles that talks about how Kilgrave is essentially representing domestic abuse and what happened in the past couple years with Gamer Gate (here’s a good one: LINK) and they couldn’t be more right. As a high school teacher, I see this with young couples who are testing their limits and too often we try to get the girls out of those type of relationships (and a boy or two as well), and they keep on getting sucked back in. It’s hard to see and disturbing in Jessica Jones’ case as well. There was some criticism of her as a character by a Facebook friend last night and I can understand that, but I think we initially have the same thoughts about women in these situations. “Why are they staying? Why are they acting like that? Can’t they just be happy?” I think (without spoiling too much), that the Jessica we see down the line will be different after everything she goes through in these 13 episodes.
- I think I might be able to just drink Diet Mtn Dew for the rest of my life. Maybe.
- I have two tickets for Star Wars: The Force Awakens for Friday, Dec. 18 for me and my daughter. CAN NOT WAIT.
- Every month there is a new edition of The Future Chronicles put out by curator Samuel Peralta. If you haven’t read any yet, the latest — Galaxy — just dropped the other day. Just $1.99 for a limited time and a huge collection of space-based stories. My brother (and co-author on our upcoming novel), Paul will be one of the featured authors in The Cyborg Chronicles, releasing at the end of December. Great books — check them out.
- How about that Bears-Packers game on Thanksgiving? I know…I know…the general trend isn’t going the Bears way, but allow me a moment of joy. (Also a note…first NFL game I’ve watched since Week 2. We ditched the Dish in September.)
- I’ve been a giving a lot of thought on my best books of the year and Ernie Lindsey’s alter ego is probably getting a lot of First Place votes from me. Which book? Maybe this will give you a hint…
- Black Friday was still crazy, but I think Internet shopping has dramatically changed things. There were decidedly less people than I’ve ever seen and the crowds tended to be fairly civil. Of course, the news wants the insane videos so we got that, but I think those tended to be the exception rather than the rule.
- It is impossible to diet in November and December. Maintain, yes, but to actually diet and intend to lose weight? Forget it.
- I am not a fan of Thomas the Train (or Tank Engine for you Trainheads out there. ;).
- Not that it needs to be said, but Adele is amazing. I could listen to her sing the phone book.
- Speaking of, who uses the phone book anymore? Maybe I should say I could listen to Adele sing my contact list from my phone. Better.
- And…that’s it for today. Tune in next time for a smattering of my thoughts.